Blogblog

August '10

Capo 2.0

After nearly a year of research and development, Capo 2.0 is here!

Now that the cat’s out of the bag, you can see why I’ve been hacking on OpenCL so much. As a result of my OpenCL use, Capo 2 requires Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Sometimes I need to step back and look at what I’ve accomplished here. You can now not only listen to what is going on, but you can also see what’s happening. In addition to that, you can actually tab out the songs by clicking and dragging notes on top of the spectrogram!

Needless to say, this is a revolutionary application. I would like to believe that I’ve completely changed the way people will learn to play their favorite songs, given only the studio recordings.

38 Comments

Bob Smith

Over a year ago

Wow! Holy freakin’ cow! Jiminy Crickets!

Dude, just downloaded Capo 2.0, played with it for less than a minute, and knew I had to have it.

The impact and influence of this tool for the aspiring amateur and the accomplished alike is hard to overstate.

Congratulations on making a powerful contribution that pushes the state of the art one huge leap forward!

Bob

Boumy

Over a year ago

Congratulations for this great app. The new functionnalities will have more fun if you allow a full vertical display of the spectro and if you allow to ear the “midi” notes over the track. Also allow a bend mode. And by the way, please think about drummers too ;) I know you are vers dynamic with Capo. I have no doubt you will soon enhance this 2.0 version.

Florent V.

Over a year ago

Looks really hot, both the design and the features! I was reluctant to buy Capo 1 because the price is a bit steep for the amount of time I expect I would use it—not that much. Now the only thing that makes me hesitate is that my home computer does not run OS X, only the one at work does.

Even though I like Gnome, applications like Capo and Transmit make me want to swith to OS X full-time. Next year maybe.

Dimitri Vouliouris

Yes it looks Hot… Yes, I must have it.. But.. I run Mac OS X 1.4

if I have to upgrade to 1.6 to use Capo 2.0 that comes at a price of 295 + 49 = 344$

For that price I can rent a musician !!

good luck with all the established pre-2008 macbook owners.. !

chris

Over a year ago

Bob: Thanks for the kind words!

Boumy: I’m working on MIDI playback for a future release, thanks.

Dimitri: As far as I know, Mac OS 10.6 can be purchased for $29.

BL

Over a year ago

Thanks – you made me buy the Snow Leopard upgrade today for this! Apple should give you a cut. I can’t begin to describe to you how fantastic the new features are.

apmeyer

Over a year ago

Just downloaded and installed it. It appeared to transfer my old license code over the new application. I was going to ask about upgrade pricing. But it looks like current owners get a free upgrade. Is that correct? Thanks for the awesome product!

apmeyer

Over a year ago

Wait, no, looks like it’s a $20 upgrade from within the application. Definitely worth the price, but it might be worth mentioning that somewhere on the website.

chris

Over a year ago

apmeyer: All existing customers received an email with all that info, so I figured it’d sort of be repeating myself to put it on the site. Sorry it wasn’t more clear!

BL: Awesome! Tell steve@apple about it! ;)

apmeyer

Over a year ago

Problem for me is that my registration e-mail address is no longer an address that I use. Probably not uncommon, considering how often people change ISPs and whatnot. I just upgraded and submitted a support ticket to have the license key sent to my new address.

Greg

Over a year ago

Looks great so far!! Do you have any plans to add standard notation (with treble and bass clef) to the note setttings? I’m a pianist and having that option would be immensely helpful. The fret board ain’t for me. But a great update nonetheless.

chris

Over a year ago

apmeyer: Great. We got you all taken care of now.

Greg: Yes! It’s a really tough problem to solve, though. Note values require knowledge of a song’s tempo/meter, and I’m working on figuring all that stuff out. Rest assured—I won’t ship it if I can’t make it good!

JDrummel

Over a year ago

Having a problem here. Capo 2.0 will not read in my CD’s, just thrashes and thrashes. I’m trying it out on my new iMac 27″ Quad Core. There is nothing wrong with my machine! The internal DVD drive is a OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5680H.

chris

Over a year ago

JDrummel: !! You should import your CDs into iTunes first, and then drag the songs from iTunes. Reading from the CD will certainly take forever, as it is a very slow medium…

JDrummel

Over a year ago

Thanks Chris, that worked! However, even though it won’t be as efficient shouldn’t the program still read a CD in directly? It doesn’t here.

Greg

Over a year ago

Regarding standard staff notation, even if you just had noteheads on a staff, indicating pitch, without note values, that would be enough. Just the same idea as the fretboard but on a staff. That’s usually how I transcribe by hand, working out the rhythm separately, afterwards.

Caliban10

Over a year ago

Excellent. This’ll work great for now. But, when’s the version aimed at pianists?

chris

Over a year ago

JDrummel: Sure, it should work, but CDs are not a great medium for the random access of data. Capo does a lot of random accesses, so it’ll work terribly straight off of a CD. Hard drive space is cheap, so importing CDs isn’t too bad of a workaround—plus, you can listen to the songs when the CDs are not nearby!

Greg: That’s actually how I planned to go about doing this first. I’ll play with the concept and see how it goes.

Caliban10: As soon as I can catch my breath again, I’ll be able to start working on new stuff for Capo. :)

Paul HH

Over a year ago

Gosh, what an amazing bit of work! That is indeed a really impressive achievement!

I think this certainly will be a revolution for guitarists, but is there any chance you could add Pedal Steel Guitar to the list of Guitar, Bass, Mandolin and Ukelele? I’m sure you’ll get Banjo players writing in too ;-)

If I can be of any assistance to add Pedal Steel to the list please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Paul

Dave

Over a year ago

This app looks very nice.

Please add support for video files. Play the video in the artwork region of the screen. Watching a performance while transcribing it is extremely useful. Lots of transcribable videos on youtube these days especially for guitar players.

Eduardo Brito

Over a year ago

Since you’re using OpenCL for this, is it reasonable to expect that this application may be ported to other operating systems? Or will you only develop this as an Mac only application?

Nat Budin

Over a year ago

Awesome work, I love Capo 2!

I use both a laptop (MacBook Pro) and a desktop (iMac). Do I need to buy the Family Pack to use it on both computers, or can I buy a single license (since I’m the only user of these two machines)?

chris

Over a year ago

Nat Budin: Nope, a single license will suffice! If you’re the only user, you only need a single license. Family packs are for multi-user situations (e.g. spouse’s, kids’ computers.)

Nat Budin

Over a year ago

chris: Awesome, thanks for the info! I went ahead and bought a single license.

chris

Over a year ago

Nat Budin: Thanks for your support—I’m sure you’ll have lots of fun with Capo.

mariobandai

Over a year ago

why waveform display has disappeared? It’s (almost) ok with the spectrogram, but i was faster on the waveform display. Anyway, really reverse engineering music. Regards.

KapnKrunch00

Over a year ago

My main function in transcribing music is writing up songs in a simple lead-sheet format with chords and words using Microsoft Word. Capo is compelling, but unfortunately there’s no way to control start, stop, FF, RW without Capo running in the foreground.

I have Transcribe, which permits using a MIDI controller for these functions, even while the program runs behind Word.

What are the chances of adding MIDI control to Capo?

Adam

Over a year ago

Was there a request for banjo players to write in? Happy to oblige! I would love Capo (read: buy it instead of upgrading my copy of AMSLD) if it had banjo tunings. Trouble is, there are LOTS of banjo tunings. I use nine of them on a regular basis. (Which I admit is actually 7 + a capo for three, but still….)

Is there any chance Capo might in the future have customizable tunings for the tab? That would also allow the mandolin to substitute for a cross-tuned fiddle (Appalachian fiddlers often tune AEae or GDgd – fifths in two octaves.)

If not, here are the banjo tunings to start with – they cover 95% of old-time tunes: gDGBD (Open G) gCGCD ( Double C Tuning) gDGCD ( Sawmill Tuning ) gCGCE (Open C Tuning) gCGBD (Drop C Tuning)

Here are some less common tunings: gBGBD (Cotillion Tuning) f#DEAD (F-sharp dead tuning) gDGDE (Old G Tuning) aDF#AD (Graveyard Tuning)

There are many more, however. Many more……

Adam

Forgot two of the bigguns’ Cumberland Tuning is f#BEAD

and many people prefer the drone string in graveyard tuning to be tuned to the 3rd rather than the fifth: f#DF#AD

Michael Buffington

Over a year ago

What a wonderfully simple and use app. 5 minutes with the demo has me convinced it’s worth the price.

That said, am I crazy, or should I be able to resize not just the width of the app window, but the height as well?

chris

Over a year ago

Michael: The height is not currently resizable—we have to work on a bit of a redesign in parts to support the operation.

Adam

Over a year ago

Seriously though – is there any chance that you can add custom string intervals for the tablature?

chris

Over a year ago

Adam: Yes—this should be coming in a future release.

Adam

OK – I am buying tonight, then

JIM

Over a year ago

I have a problem in Capo with fine tuning to the pitch of Guns n Roses Sweet Child o Mine, the guitar is about 40 cents off concert pitch but Capo has no adjustments in cents I can only move up or down in semitones…………..Will this be fixed soon?????

JIM

Over a year ago

Sorry Chris it’s not Guns n Roses Sweet Child o Mine, I meant to say Oasis “Don’t look back in anger”. Try to play guitar along with it and you’ll know what I mean it’s about 40 cents above concert pitch……….

chris

Over a year ago

Jim: In the help file, there are instructions for setting fine tuning in cases like that, and I also cover it in my 2nd podcast video on tuning to the recording.

Just hold the Shift and Command keys while pressing the arrow up/down keys to finely adjust the pitch in 2-cent increments.

JIM

Over a year ago

Oh thanks mate! If in doubt try reading the instructions (doh!) Great program, well worth the money and many thanks for the quick response, highly recommended to all musos out there.

Add New Comment